Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Few interesting topics in Network Security please.

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:24:25 -0400

KishoreKumar Bairi wrote:
Hi all,

I am a student. Who is doing project under a professor. In our
university from next year a new course on NETWORKING is going to be
started. My task is to design "lab experiments" for that course.

Can you please suggest few experimental ideas, that will help a newbie
in Networking field.

Note: "Network Security" is also included.

Three things that students are not getting in network courses that are CRITICAL to the real world:
   1) Low level understanding of protocols
   2) Routing
   3) Packet filtering

Some tools I would recommend as absolute requirements for the course:
   wireshark
   nmap
   traceroute
   ping