Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IKE and IPSec SA Lifetimes.

From: Vibhore <vibhorejn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:15:16 +0530

Hi Aditya, Alexandre,

Just to add to this discussion. IKE(v1) and IPSec life times are
negotiated on most of the major gateways and clients and I have test
IPSec clients with many gateways and haven't seen something like
lifetime mismatch. In case of IKEv2, rekey works independent of the
lifetime values specified on both the peers.

NAT-T plays an important role because a machine internal to NAT-T
disabled network can reach any machine outside but any external
machine can reach only one of the internal machines if NAT-T is
disabled.

DPD is an important aspect of IPSec. Aditya is correct in stating that
DPD doesn't have any major negative impact on connections and is used
to check the heartbeat of the tunnel. Many gateways and clients allow
configuring DPD timeout value and one can configure it as per need. If
for some reason, any of the peer is not able to reply with DPD
informational messages, other end tears down the tunnel.

I hope this helps you.
Have a nice day.

===><===
Vibhore Jain
Test Engineer, SafeNet SoftRemote IPSec clients

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM, ॐ aditya mukadam ॐ