Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: tools to run on compromised linux box

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:31:55 +1000

Hi Lister-lots of great ideas already. I'll add my two Aussie cents in(which
are almost worth two US cents).

Nikhil's suggestion of booting to another OS to do the investigation is an
important choice-otherwise you run the risk of further infection or
destroying potential evidence by writing over files that could be recovered.

Another suggestion would be to image the compromised box. Then you can take
your time. Adepto on the Helix cd is great for this kind of op.

My feeling is that working out how the compromise took place is very
important because I've seen boxes get rinsed and reloaded then put back into
production only to be re-infected. Why? Because we didn't know what had
caused the infection in the first place. And if you have an SOE then it
could be game over for your network. Obviously, time/money etc come into
play here.

Sometimes, it may even be an idea to leave the box live and running if you
want to try and 'follow' the trail. But this has a certain amount of risk
attached to it.
Maybe you could dump the physical memory and see what was there before you
kill the box.

Good luck.