Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FakeAlert virus removal

From: Alexander Swensen <alex.swensen () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:03:15 -0500

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 3:07:34 pm John Williams wrote:
Dear LIst,

I am working with a small local police department to resolve a malware
issue on their police web site. When the web site is access directly
from a browser address bar, the web site displays properly. But when
the web site is accessed via a google search, the "FakeAlert" virus
for AntiVirus 2009 takes over the browser. I am interested in a)
understanding how this virus operates, and b) advice for removing the
virus from the web site.

Thank you in advance for your expert advice.

I am probably not the best person to answer your question, but ill give
accurate answers based on what i know and the little you have told me.
First, A URL would be helpful. Besides that there is the possibility that its
not a website problem at all, and that it is infact that the antivirus
software is messed up, thinking its a problem. That is very common.
Furthermore info on what kind of OS the website is hosted on would give a lot
of answers as to the probability of it being on the website itself.

- Alex