Security Basics mailing list archives

Thoughts on SAINT and SAINTmanager?

From: Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson () esri com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:19:02 -0800

Hi all;

I've been evaluating some security scanning products.  I really like
Nessus and have been leaning the Tenable Security Center way.  However,
during its evaluation I've run into some frustrating things that really
hamper our workflow here....

I don't like how it's not very easy to link someone to a particular
query or result.  Sure i can save the query, or send someone
instructions to navigate to a particular page of results, but why can't
I just choose the URL in the Location bar of my browser and have that
send the user to same location I was viewing?

Reports beyond the boilerplate are also not easy to come up with.  The
template language isn't documented and although I know Tenable will
assist with custom needs, reporting should be simpler.

The lack of a standard database backend also is frustrating.  I
understand Tenable's way may be quicker, but I'd much prefer the
convenience of a MySQL backend so I can run custom queries myself in
situations where the API or interface doesn't make it easy to get out
the information I want.

Users also don't like the "non-intuitive" interface...

Anyways, this brings me to the point where I'm looking for an
alternative.  I think Tenable has the nitty gritty down; I really like
their updates, the NASL language and the community surrounding their
product.  That said, SAINT appeals to me because at a glance, their
interface looks pretty slick and I like their MySQL backend.  I have
high hopes they might have a somewhat open API that I can use to
interact with pieces of the product in a fairly easy way.

Anyone have any experience with their product?  How would you compare
it?  I'll be moving forward with an eval, but looking for feedback :)

Thanks!
Ray