Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Initial Machine login - Computer Forensics 101

From: "Worrell, Brian" <BWorrell () isdh IN gov>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 11:06:40 -0500

Michael,

Quick sidebar, I recall reading a post about this before on another
list.  If you are being paid to do this, you need to make sure its all
above board as in some states this can be consider illegal.  Do not
recall the exact issue, but part of the outcome was that you needed to
have very clear, signed, documentation on what you were asked to do.
Think the case the article was referring too was in California.

That said, I would make a copy of the drive, and not alter the original
in any way.  This helps keep the evidence chain.

Brian