Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing Mail Traffic - Outlook --> Exchange Server

From: Alex Cernat <alexutzu () cernat ro>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:36:51 +0200

sfmailsbm () gmail com wrote:
Dear list,
I wanted to demonstrate to management that traffic in clear text are vulnerable to sniffing, and to do this I wanted to
sniff mail traffic:

I am trying to monitor the traffic between my Outlook Client and my Exchange (2003) server

Normally the protocol used for communication is IMAP, which is not encrypted

Are you sure you use imap ? By default Exchange 2003 comes with imap service closed, and the recommended protocol is MAPI. Especially if you have a domain in your network, this is the recommended option. With MAPI protocol, afaik the traffic is encrypted.

If you really have IMAP open then all traffic (including auth) is done plain text (unless you have at least secure imap - imap over ssl/tls - activated - port 993 or 995, don't remember exactly).

Alex