Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SNMP attempts every 10 minutes

From: "Ivan ." <ivanhec () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:43:00 +1100

Is it a SNMP-trap or SNMP-get request? There is a difference and your
email isn't clear.

SNMP-trap is sent by a device to a SNMP server

SNMP-get is a read request from a SNMP poller to a device

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm

I assume you mean a device is polling (SNMP-get) your core switch, and
it does not have the correct auth string. You should be able to
isolate the IP of the poller and they track down the box. It could be
a linux box running some "snmp-walk" requests.

cheers
Ivan