Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Former Employee Email - Exchange

From: "Lee Bottone" <fusedlee () eanalysis net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:06:05 -0600

This is actually a pretty good time to bring up security and the legal
issues:

1. Can your employees use company mail for personal use? If they are using
it for personal use, giving all their messages to the next employee could be
a violation of their privacy rights, as there will be personal information
that could be misused in there. Ideally you don't want them to use company
mail for personal use.

The college I work allows personal use, so they simply disable the account
and edit the name to include the phrase no longer employed (so that Helpdesk
does not re-enable the account accidentally). Then if there is a message
that someone needs from the account, the system administrator recovers the
message. This limits our exposure to someone who can craft the query to not
look at mail that does not pertain to the company, and limits the liability
of violating privacy issues down to one person (as opposed to whoever
replaces the old employee, the system technicians who port the mail over,
and possibly others).