Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows local admin in a .edu environment.

From: "Dan Lynch" <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:09:53 -0800

Locally, two high school students gained or were given access to a
teacher's laptop. Using the teacher's already logged in local admin
credentials, they installed a keystroke logger, captured passwords for
the grading system, and changed their semester grades.

http://www.theunion.com/article/20050310/NEWS/103100069

If the system can't be physically secured against an environment full of
mischievous kids, additional security is justified. Start with
appropriate policy, but don't rely on it.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer