Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: GIAC certification question

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 11:52:04 -0700

Razorren wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know how many certs/exams are required for the GIAC designation?

It can be pretty confusing...  ;p

I looked at the SANS site and see 13 listed under the Security
Administration heading.
Does anyone know for sure what is required?
http://www.giac.org/certifications/roadmap.php

If you do choose to take one, one thing to watch for...

My books were not okay.  Pet peeve of mine, horrible and a gross amount
of typos.  While I'm not very well spoken, these you couldn't miss.
Sentences that made no sense.  Paragraph long sentences that you have to
read approx 3 times just to begin to grasp what was written because it
makes no sense.

With that said, the real kicker.  Math problems missing the Operator.  A
 FULL SECTION MISSING IN ONE BOOK...

I honestly do not think that it will happen again.  But this was my
experience.  I am not writing this to talk smack.  To be honest when I
reported it - it took a while to get through to anyone - but they seemed
to take it seriously.  I do not think it will happen again.  I am only
writing this as four grand is a lot of money to spend on a cert.  It
should be right, the first time, no exceptions.

We are learning excellence and my experience was far from excellent.

I have gone back through and verified most of what I have learned, which
is A LOT, and I do not doubt the quality of the education.

BTW - Rick Smith was my instructor and he was great!  I took the GSEC.
While I'm still frustrated with what happened, I do not regret it.

I hope that this helps in some way.

Thanks

Ren

- --