Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RAID 5 drive replacement schedule

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:27:22 -0400

Murda,
The real answer to your question is that it is very, very improbable that all of the drives in the array will fail at the same time. Most drives are good for a certain period of years, after which point you are getting "extra time".

That is not a security issue though. That is an IT related issue. The security issue comes into play when you dispose of your drives. Do you shred them, just throw them in the dumpster, how do you dispose of them?

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Murda Mcloud wrote:
In my mind, this a security related question as it has to do with ensuring
availability.

Does anyone have links towards any whitepapers etc that suggest replacement
of disks in a RAID 5 array as part of a maintenance cycle?

If all the drives in an array are the same age and one fails; does this mean
the others are more likely to fail. I'd imagine so as they have had the same
amount of usage.