Security Basics mailing list archives

Forcing a vpn connection anytime internet connectivity is detected outside a corporate lan

From: "Charles Hardin" <fonestorm () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:18:03 -0400

Hello list,

     Does anyone have a solution for the following issue we seem to be
facing at my place of employment.

We use barracuda web filter's to control web content at all of our
sites and this works pretty well. What we seem to be having is our
laptop users are breaking the usage policy and porn surfing at night
from hotels and their house, then introducing it to their file shares
while they are in the office. The VPN we use is a cisco pix tied to a
raidus server. The main site they connect to is on a metro e so head
end bandwidth is not a primary concern but a possible secondary
concern. What we would like to do is force the laptops into a vpn
connection any time the laptop detects the internet and is not on the
corporate lan and then tunnel their web traffic thru our webfilters.
We have spare public ips so they could in theory ping this to
determine if they are in or out of our network. Any ideas?

Charles Hardin