Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Choosing unique passwords - how paranoid is too paranoid?

From: Orlin Gueorguiev <gueorgua () cip ifi lmu de>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:05:00 +0200

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 05:27:37 Johann MacDonagh wrote:
This has worked out better. I've started using mnemonics to remember
each system's unique part. Muscle memory!

I have 3 passwords. One for no security(like the password for the quest
account), one for forums or minimal security, one for secured
stuff(everything with money). Now... I think I got a little inspired from
your post and I might actually start generating passwords for each different
domain, based on a password mixed in some way with the domain name. For
example password is password, domain is eBay (make a mnemonic buysellbuy),
mixes password: buypasssellwordbuy /*will have to think about something
better*/ (and then 1337 it), final B@iPazZC3llw0R7bA1. because I have a
general password combined with something easy to remember, and leeting it, I
believe it would be hard for someone to find it, especially because different
people have different expirience and will probably have different mnemonic.

Thanks!

Thanks for the idea as well ;)
Orlin