Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Removing ping/icmp from a network

From: Secure This <lists () securethis net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:13:03 +0000

Jon R. Kibler wrote:
Secure This wrote:
I have a variety of clients with data centres who all make use of icmp/ping to monitor their servers/appliances/devices (often with poorly configured snmp versions 1 and 2).

Could anybody kindly advise me of tools and strategies for minimising or removing the use of icmp/ping on a supposedly secure network?

Thanks in advance

If you have any switches with layer 3 capabilities, block all icmp traffic
in ACLs. For example, from a Cisco 3750:
Thanks Jon, I have plenty of ways of blocking ICMP, but I'm looking for ways of reducing it or working without it.

Many thanks.