Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File sharing with Bittorrent: what possible security threads?

From: postmaster <postmaster () impole com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:36:49 -0500

Try reducing the number of connections in your bittorrent settings and force encryption. Both will reduce the number of hits blackice reports. Your share ratio will suffer with the latter though. You should have a router setup with a firewall in front of your computer as well. Don't use the default port setting either. If you haven't done all of the above, RTFM.

Go to http://support.bittorrent.com/cgi-bin/bittorrent.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php , among the hundreds of sites dealing with torrent applications for assistance setting up your connection settings and router.

I don't know about "movies" and "study materials", but bittorrent is very useful for propagating open source applications. I couldn't live without it either.

-Mike

Adam Pal wrote:
Hi Nazeem

Let me try do it step by step:
1) Are you sure that your PC is clean, and the attac comes from torrent only?
2) Are you sure that what you see on your "firewall" are real treats and no false-positives?
3) Are you aware of the fact that using a so called software-firewall offers just a weak protection but increase a
false feeling of security?

Personaly, i consider that those "software firewalls" dont even deserve the name "firewall". I removed mine some years ago and didnt faced any problems where i should mention that i am behind my router.
I wonder what caused that attac so badly that you are forced to reinstall completely, did you checked that out? Fix
symptoms wont be as effective as remove the cause.

Well, eventualy you really should not use that torrent then, your suggestion "dont say me" looks to me like "please wash me but dont make me wet". To your question about a best firewall, let me answer you what i tell to everyone who comes up with such a question: "the best firewall is your brain" since it depends on the user, since there is no firewall which is able to defend the user from his own faults. So, there is no best firewall in that case. But thats just my personal opinion.

regards

Adam Pal

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Hi

This is my first reply. Not sure if i am sending to the right place. I
have
been using torrents for years now. I recently discovered that a lot of
people on the internet is breaking my pc. In the last 3 weeks my PC has
suffered many DOS attacks. I am using BlackIce Firewall at the moment and
can see them pinging etc. my PC all the time. Yesterday I suffered from an
attack so badly, I am in the process of reinstalling my OS & apps.

My question is. What can I do about this? Which software firewall will
secure my PC on the internet. Dont say don't use bittorrent. Because I
cant
and wont. I use it to download all my study material, movies etc. And it
is
actually the best thing that happened since the internet.

Nazeem Jansen