Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: End Point Security - relying on one vendor's product a weakness in itself?

From: "secrookie () gmail com" <secrookie () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:08:55 +1100

The way I see it, there are two camps:

The traditionalist who will use 'best of the breed' software for
specific types of protection.

The holistic view will be to bundle all the protection into one agent,
one management console resulting in lower TCO.

We then need to weigh the risks if a vulnerability in the
agent/software is discovered in the future.  That being said if they
are all XP machines, there is a risk itself :-) but mitigating and
reducing the risks so that it is manageable will be the goal.

Best of breed software/Different vendors/Higher Cost vs. One Agent/One
vendor/Low Cost

I did notice a major vendor is waiving the upgrade license costs for a
full all-in-one endpoint solution which will most probably make the
customer drop any other PC protection solutions they have in place.

End of the day no matter what technical argument is presented, I guess
it can be challenged.  My feeling is it all boils down to how much it
will cost the company.  Everyone is looking for a deal which is more
important than satisifying our sec geeks desire to use and tweak the
best products.