Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISO/Security Team roles and functions

From: Pierre Cadieux <hobbit () theshire com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:04:28 -0700

It can be difficult to change an organization structure that exists, and sometimes it can be completely impossible. If you can get visibility and/or direct communication between senior executives and security, then it doesn't matter as much the reporting order. I would look for a title that in your organization matches the peers you would be working with (in many U.S. companies this would be a Director title, or V.P. title, or Architect.

Results are more important than title or organization structure :) best of luck!

->Pierre

WALI wrote:
I am facing a related issue of roles and job responsibilities. Security Analyst though reports to a non-IT Executive VP role but so does, a database administrator, a software quality assurance personnel and IT manager(s).

Is this a correct organisational structure?
Can DB Admin and QA function be made reporting to Security Analyst?
If this senior security analyst has to hire a few helping hands, what are the usual 'job titles'?

It's still a one man shop being asked to expand into a department. If security analyst has to ask for a change in the job title in the expanded scheme of things but is still not ready for 'CSO / CISO yet', would IT security architect, IT security engineer be more appropriate?

----- Original Message ----- From: <amatachick () gmail com>