Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows 2003 - date sync problems

From: "Ramsdell, Scott" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnethunt com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:19:48 -0400

Razi,

From memory, Windows synchs to time.windows.com for NTP in standalone
mode.

In a domain, it should synch to (I believe) the domain controller
performing the PDC emulation role.  I believe the PDC emulator is also
the NTP server by default, but again, this is all from memory.

I would wonder if you are in a domain, and if so, is the PDC emulator DC
running Win2k?  If it is, did it receive the time zone patch last year?

Kind Regards,

Scott Ramsdell
CISSP CCNA MCSE