Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protecting the enterprise wireless network

From: Orlin Gueorguiev <orlin () baturov com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 04:31:19 +0200

Hi Zeffy,
I read Sergio's suggestion. I should say that if you really seak security,
then you should enforce VPN (OpenVPN for example is a good solution). Basicly
your topology will look like this:
1. End user connect via wireless to your wifi and connects via VPN to VPN
Endpoint
2. The wifi point knows only to allow connections to VPN  Endpoint. There is
no need to use WEP/WPA because the traffic will be encrypted between each
host and your VPN Endpoint.
3. VPN Endpoint: once the VPN traffic is decrypted, you can use the firewall
of your choice (iproute2 is a good one, I think (never tested) that it
supports load balancing).

Cheers,
Orlin

На Friday 16 May 2008 07:50:35 zefferno () gmail com написа:
Hey all.

We want to implement a separated secure Internet Wireless network which
will be used by guests or users from our company in our building.

We will use Access Points, managed switch and Gateway device that you might
offer. The Gateway can be also a Linux (open-source) based solution -  it
is much better for us :)

We are looking for the following features:

1. Only HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP will be permitted, and it will be great if it is
also analyzes the protocol, not just blocking a port.

2. QOS - Some kind of traffic shaping to balance the Internet between all
users.

3. We want to limit the access from specific time range.

4. Since there is a chance that a User from our company will accidentally
connect the LAN cable without disconnecting the Wireless network. Is there
any way to block all access between all connected Wireless users? So that
an attacker won't be able to access any of the Wireless clients?

Best Regards,
Zeffy.