Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Logging question?

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:44:10 -0700 (PDT)

An example of why you would want this that I always use is; say you have 100 failed attempts and then one successful
attempt right after. You don't care about the failed ones, but you will likely want to investigate the successful one
because of where it occurred chronologically. You probably don't want allow logged for places where there will be a
very high volume of legitimate successes (HTTP connections for instance, unless you aren't running a web server..) but
anywhere where a successful connection is uncommon would be a good place to start.

Kenton