Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Deep Inspection Firewall / IPS

From: "Anupam Chomal" <anupamchomal () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:58:00 +0530

Hi,

Am a bit late to answer but i hope this helps:

1. Antivirus companies make signatures of viruses and malwares.
2. These signatures are based on application level data.
3. Port numbers are on Transport layer and can be easily changed. Such
switches are called Layer3/4 switches.
4. P2P applications are well known for such behaviour. When you block
a certain port on a L4 switch, the P2P application finds another open
port and starts communicating.
5. Deep packet inspection means a switch with the capability for L7
filtering i.e. it can look into a packet upto application layer data.
6. Such a switch will usually have a tieup with some antivirus company
or will be production its own signatures, These signatures are
normally based on some pattern in the application payload.
7. I am working on a similar product, details of which can be got from
www.nevisnetworks.com

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anupam Chomal,