Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Firewall

From: "Francois Yang" <francois.y () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:21:34 -0600

Herve,
In my opinion, if you're going to put together a course about Hardware
Firewall, you need to include other vendors and not just Cisco. Unless
of course your course is about Cisco firewalls.
A good source for which firewall vendor you should cover might be
Gartner's magic quadrant. Do a google search for "gartner's magic
quadrant hardware firewall 2007" it will give you an idea of the most
popular firewalls.
And to answer your question, Yes alot of people who used PIX are
upgrading to ASA, because one their current infrastructure is already
built around Cisco firewalls and it would be too hard to replace every
FW with a different vendor which could cause issues and two their
engineers are familiar with Cisco and to retrain them with a different
product may not be the best route.

hope this helps.

Francois