Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard Drive Forensics Question

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:22:45 +1000

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the link to that forum.
You may also be interested in something else that everyone seems to have
taken as gospel:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

I would take Mr Barila's word on it but I would rather see him prove it and
have others say yes it has been done, and here is the evidence, and here is
a paper, and here are my peers(ie people much smarter than me) agreeing
after rigorously scrutinising.
In fact I'd love it if anyone did that. I'm all for pushing back the
boundaries of knowledge.

I see that Mr Barila does not actually say that he has performed such a
recovery. Just that it is possible on a single bit. Or that he believes it
to be possible.
His reasoning appears to be logical and correct. But is it possible?

Then you can subtract that ideal value and see what the second generation
previous values were. It does require specialized equipment, but it's not
TLA-named governmental entity kind of equipment, just "highly motivated
party" kind of equipment. I'm told there are commercial entities in Russia
that do this, though I have no first-hand knowledge of that.

To recover in this way, try and calculate the probabilities of getting
enough bits 'right' when doing electron tunneling microscope(or whatever
high end equipment your Russians might be using) just to recover a single
1024kb file. Now do it for a 100Gb drive. How many bits are on that drive?
Sure, there may be a 'high' probability of getting one bit right but
millions of them?

Ansgar mentioned newer drives too, for a reason. Because they are more
accurate at the whole 1 and 0 thing and at writing in exactly the same
'spot'. Not to mention bigger. As for SS drives, I don't know what the
thinking is.

Thanks