Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cracking FTP password so that I can convince people not to use FTP, and to instead use SFTP? How do I crack the pwd?

From: "Kenepp, Donald" <dkenepp () icgcommerce com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:18:15 -0400

Hi Chip,

  You don't want or need to hack his server.  Honestly, you can brute
force anything given time and resources.  It's just a matter of having
enough of each and some reason to make it worthwhile.

  The easiest way to demonstrate the problem with FTP is to gather FTP
passwords with a network protocol sniffer like Wireshark (formerly
Ethereal).  Just have him install the free packet sniffer, and show him
that every time he puts in his FTP password, anyone with access to a
server or network he routes through between his computer and his FTP
site can read his username and password in plain-text.  While Wireshark
analysis can be complex, just starting a capture, finding the FTP
packets, and reading them when you know they are coming should be pretty
straight-forward.  You can also have him look at a http login packet vs.
an https site packet.

  Cracking the password doesn't demonstrate much.  The point is that
with old protocols like FTP, you don't need to crack the password.  You
can just read it in standard network traffic.  SFTP or FTP over SSH
encrypts the username/password before it goes over the wire.

  - Don