Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Extending the DMZ

From: "Prodigi Child" <prodigi.child () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:45:13 -0500

You are correct - this is absolutely a bad idea. If you have to worry about
regulatory compliance this can be a deal-breaker for an auditor, depending
on what standard you need to comply with and what data is on the server.
Speaking of which, what kind of server is it? If it is a web server or
something simple like that then you can feasibly reverse proxy it through a
DMZ server, using something like ISA server. So, check your rules &
regulations and see if you can deny this change based on those, and if you
can't then try to find another way to make it accessible. Bottom line - if
that server gets compromised and it is on the same subnet as your other
production servers, that is MANY times worse than if a DMZ server gets
compromised, because the attacker may need to now turn his/her attention on
a second attack (this time targeting the internal servers). In addition,
there are well-documented VLAN-hopping attacks that you would now need to
protect against.

In addition, you should probably work to ensure that you (information
security) is included even in the planning stages of new
servers/applications/etc. Too many times I have seen InfoSec playing
"catch-up" when it's too late to make any meaningful changes to a new
production system.

Mike