Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Upptime report tools?

From: "Warren Brunson" <Warren.Brunson () IdenTrust com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:57:59 -0600

So ... I just confirmed that Jon was being very generous when he said
that "5-nines" means "less than an hour of downtime per server, per
year." It's actually 5 minutes and 16 seconds of downtime -- *per year*.
If you have 50 minutes of downtime in 12 months, you are at 4-nines; and
if you are down a full hour per year, you are at 3-nines.

Which is why good SLAs don't specify server uptime, only system uptime.
This allows for activities like patching.

Several companies I know won't patch a server immediately after the
patch release, unless it's a red-flag issue. They will test the patch in
a testing or staging environment first, to make sure the patch doesn't
break something else (usually custom code). In these companies, a server
being up for 90 days or more (meaning unpatched) would not necessarily
be cause for alarm.

Warren Brunson
Sr. Security Analyst
IdenTrust, Inc.