Security Basics mailing list archives

How to deal with unused registered public IP subnets

From: Johnny Wong <johnnywkm () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:30:53 +0800

Hello list,

Recently, in an external assessment effort, we found a list of public IP subnets registered under my company's name. However, about half of them are no longer in use. I could only guessed that they were leftovers from mergers/acquisitions in the past. Being a good Internet citizen, I would release these unused subnets since there's a worldwide shortage of IPv4 addresses. However, bringing this point forward to the management is rather tricky -- because they think these are still company's property, keep for future expansion and so on.

There are possibilities that these unused IP subnets/addresses being used for malicious intent (spyware, scam, trojan propagation, spoofing). What other risks are there with us retaining these IP subnets/addresses?

What do other companies do with unused IP subnets/addresses? Do they just release them or keep them for future needs?

Thank you,

JW