Security Basics mailing list archives

Detect browser TLS settings on client-side and tell it to the server

From: Éliás Tamás <elias.tamas () uni-pen hu>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 17:26:18 +0200

Udv / Greetings!

I have a problem with non TLS enabled browsers. For my site it is
required to use TLS. But most users do not have it. Is it possible to
use a clientside javascript or anything to find out (before it is
being dropped on the https) if the user, - while accessing the
http version of the page, - has TLS enabed or not? And if not, I
display a message to enable it, if it would like to continue. I could
reduce my phone-calls by 90% by this way.

thank you in advance!

--
Éliás Tamás / Thomas Elias
Okleveles mérnök-informatikus / Master of Science in Information Technology (MSC)

mailto: elias.tamas () uni-pen hu
Tel.: +3630/4971626 ; ICQ UIN: 206-714-459 ; SKYPE: "elias.tamas"
OpenPGP public key: http://pszinfo.hu/elias.tamas.asc
Quote: "Too many people making too many problems!"