Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: dotLocal Domain

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:42:25 -0700

  Well, um, the *point* is that it DOESN'T go to the Internet.

  If you try to resolve a .com FQDN, your DNS server asks one of
the Internet root DNS servers where to resolve .com as a TLD, then
asks that server who is authoritative for foo.com, and so on.  Any
DNS server anywhere in the world can ask these questions and navigate
to an answer if one exists.  It's possible that the DNS server for
that .com domain won't resolve the specific hostname, but anyone in
the world can get to the public DNS server for that domain.

  There is no such top-level domain server for ".local" .  If the
DNS server on your network doesn't recognize the hostname you're trying
to resolve, there is nobody else for it to ask.  And if someone outside
your local network tries to resolve that name, there's NOTHING to tell
it that your network is where the answer lies.

David Gillett