Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security tools collection

From: Serg B <sergeslists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:53:13 +1000

I am confused, are you testing the server or ar you hardening the server?

Your email sort of implies hardening, but you are talking about
BackTrack which suggests testing...

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12 () gmail com> wrote:
Dear list,

I have already done a lot of google search but at the end I am very
much confused about security tools. I want to secure a remote linux
server ( suse 11.2 ) which running apache, mysql, postfix+dovecot,
squid and also regurarly take backup ( ssh+rsync) from another server.

I have already implement iptables firewall, monit, ssh2 with root login
disable, nrpe, regular checking by chkrootkit and rkhunter by cron.

But implementing security measures don't provide peace. I need more
tools !! And where I am confused. What else should I have in my
collection ? One very good linux distro is Backtrack which have a lots
of such security tools but if you don't know actually what is there you
can't use backtrack. It will take bit more time to flip through it. So
you security experts please show me the way. Please advice me what else
I must need and what are the tools already thetre in backtrak linux ?

Thanks

Need to pass the CISSP? InfoSec Institute's CISSP Boot Camp in both Instructor-Led and Online formats is the most
concentrated exam prep available. Comprehensive course materials and an expert instructor means you pass the exam.
Gain a laser like insight into what is covered on the exam, with zero fluff!

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/cissp_bootcamp_training.html