Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IIS Application pool crashes

From: "SecFocus Role Acct" <secfocus3 () bedrox com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:51:17 -0500

Yes, it's crashing from the KB973917 which was in the December 2009 batch of updates.

Short answer is, on computers where the upgrade to SP2 was not fully successful, one or more critical IIS .dll files were not upated. This was not significant enough to cause IIS to fail-- until now.

MS published a KB article which describes it. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2009746

Fix is to re-apply SP2. We had several systems this happened to, and reinstalling SP2 fixed it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Murray, Mike" <MMurray () csuchico edu>
Anyone hear of any IIS crashes after December patching?

Mike

We have had a couple calls today about IIS crashing. Apparently some boxes had a auto-patch setting and downloaded the patches causing IIS to break. Uninstalling 5 windows patches from last night caused IIS to work again. Please take caution if you are applying patches to your IIS servers. Spread the word.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1