Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall and IPS Deployment

From: Javier Reyna <jreyna () onlinet com mx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:43:18 -0600

IMHO
I think is fine to have some IPS functionalities in a firewall, afterall , firewalls will evolve somehow.
But this builtin IPS functionality, is never so acurae as a dedicated system. Talking about Checkpoint, I like some
features from SmartDefense, but, if SD is extensible used, FW-1 will crash some things. let an IPS do IPS
job, and Firewall to do FW job.  Nowadays, venders are affering a lot of UTM appliances, firewall, ips,
antispam, antivirus, antieverything, capuchinno, machiato and esspresso. At the end of the day you disable the
half of properties, because the trouhgput became mayhem.