Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Passive Snort Setup

From: Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson () esri com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:46:51 -0800

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:19:08PM -0800, Daniel Hood wrote:
Is it possible to set up a Snort IDS system with a topology like this:

hosts > switch > Snort-IDS > Router

But, have no ip address on either interface of the snort box and it
just forward packets through after checking them for malicious
activity? I don't want the snort box to do NAT or be the default
gateway, I just want it to passively be there.

Daniel

You could use the span port option on your managed switch, or, set up a
network tap between your switch and its uplink to the router.

The snort documentation page on their site has extensive information on
network taps (you can buy them or build them).

Ray