Security Basics mailing list archives

Seagate 7200.11 Drives

From: "Dave Kleiman" <dave () davekleiman com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 06:40:38 -0500

If you have Seagate 7200.11 Drives you should seriously consider not using them for any valuable information storage,
you might even consider replacing them.

The following information was provided to me by Scott "ByteAssassin" Moulton:

Seagate is now admitting a huge problem with 7200.11 Drives. Seagate is picking up the tab for data recovery. I have
known about this problem and been teaching it in the class since the drives were released and seen hundreds, not only
Seagate's, but also Western Digital and Hitachi. It's great to see them being responsible.

There is a place to do the BIOS update.  I have a feeling the problem is much more extensive than the firmware.  There
are updates on the list below to test and update. I will let you know more as I discover it. However, I will tell you
that Western Digital and Hitachi have similar problems with drives failing. We will see what that is in the future I
guess.

Seagate Barracuda drives failing en masse

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/01/13/seagate.barracuda.failures/

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

Respectfully,

Dave Kleiman - http://www.ComputerForensicExaminer.com