Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: auditing access on USB drive

From: ron () gmail com
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:48:56 -0600

I don't have specific experience with the type of tool you are asking about, but I have read a lot about them.  In
general what you are talking about is Endpoint control or NAC (Network Access Control) or MS specific NAP (Network
Access Protection).  Typically you don't install anything on the USB, you use the tools to monitor use of USB resources
(and other resources).  You can define policies that decide what devices can be accessed and associated logging of
access.  Here are some links on the topic:

http://searchsecuritychannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid97_gci1286980,00.html?track=NL-676&ad=683698&asrc=EM_NLT_5554490&uid=4739563
 - Introduction to the benefits of NAC

http://www.itsecurity.com/whitepaper/evolving-nac-enterprise-idc/ - Enterprise NAC Survey 2007

http://searchsecuritychannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid97_gci1343076,00.html?track=NL-676&ad=683698&asrc=EM_NLT_5554487&uid=4739563
 - Network access control policy cheat sheet

http://searchsecuritychannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid97_gci1315213,00.html?track=NL-730&ad=650312&Offer=CHSCunsc79&asrc=EM_USC_3995378&uid=4739563
  - Integrated endpoint security suites

http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/juniper/vol4/article3/article3.html - Magic Quadrant for Network Access
Control 27 March 2009.  Good article, superficial reviews of many NAC tools

 http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6152523.html  -  10 things you should know about Vista's Network
Access Protection (NAP)

These should get you started.  I've got lots more if you are interested

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1