Security Basics mailing list archives

[Suspected Spam]RE: Corporate Antivirus Systems

From: "Valentin Fernandez Bolland" <vfernandez () juvaca com mx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:12:02 -0500

Come on Jason, each manufacturer has his own "independent benchmark" as we
all know (on the one you mention, Av-Comparatives, appear several "mistakes"
a mention to MS tools already disappeared or Symantec/Norton domestic/home
versions, not the Corporate one's... so which comparison is this? Apples vs
flowers?) the ! Ask each for one and you'll have it accordingly to his own
interest!

What I think it must provide is, I mean in terms of Corporate AntiMalware:

1. Easy to manage
2. Easy to deploy
3. Effectiveness against new threads
4. Time to solve new REAL threads
5. Support
6. Support when shit appears
7. Real Support, no matter -at least- what it takes, you need a service
security level, isn't it?

And at last, but not least: which services will you be receiving from your
local supplier/VAR/reseller?

With new threads having an updated/managed AV is not enough as Confiker
probes; I mean It was necessarily to have also an specific MS Hot Fix
installed, and also a drive config addition was required (autorun.inf folder
on each accessing drives) in order to be safe... so solution scope were more
complex, reason why those services or value added services MUST be placed on
deciding which AV/AntiMalware choice...

In some cases, with real customers, we use, in order to eradicate Confiker a
mix of Kaspersky, NOD32 and Symantec EndPoint Protection (Ver 11 SR4) as
base platform... but also vulnerability remediation tools (Retina, Nessus)
and local manual procedures...

Cheers,

Valentín Fernández Bolland