Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Client side email encryption

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:02:47 +0100

On 2009-03-12 Quigley, Joe wrote:
I've been tasked with finding an encryption solution for email sent
from our HR departments to both internal and external clients. We are
currently running MS Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 and 2007. We have no
plans to install Exchange 2007 at this time. One requirement we have
is it must be installed on the client. We don't want to install
anything on the mail servers.

PGP/GPG is one option. Is anyone using a different product for client
side encryption with Outlook?

S/MIME is supported out-of-the-box. Personally I prefer PGP/GnuPG,
though, because it doesn't require a certification infrastructure.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."