Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Opportunistic TLS on mail servers

From: Gustavo Castro <gcastrop () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:53:45 -0300

Steve:

  I use STARTTLS (a.k.a. opportunistic TLS) on SMTP (ports 25 and
587(forced, not opportunistic)) and IMAP, and SMTPS (SMTP over SSL),
but users don't use it too much anyway. Some client programs claims to
use SSL but don't specify if they use pure SSL transport or STARTTLS
(that's the case with the Palm Versamail, that uses STARTTLS only), so
that can be an issue for you.
  The only real problem I've faced was that some servers, when
connected as clients, didn't handle well the protocol negotiation and
fail, but this is quite visible on the logs, and quite rare (only two
times on 5 years, over 22 SMTP servers I manage). No other issues have
risen out of that.
  Hope it helps you.