Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Data Interpretation

From: Javier Becerra <JBecerra () newnetsa com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:01:03 -0500

Hi Michael. Several malware programs are using ports for communication purposes with attackers. In the example you show
us, NMAP find the SUBSEVEN, NETBUS and Elite default ports, but its state are "Filtered", what it means any kind of
firewall or router is blocking them, so you don´t worry about it.If these ports were in "Open" state, you were in big
trouble.

Javier Becerra Garavito
Senior Security Consultant
NewNet S.A.