Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NAC Question

From: badz <smanaois3 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:28:27 +0800

Hi,

Try to leverage on the capabilities of the Network Access Protection
technology (a _free_ core Windows component).

How does NAP work? - [from the NAP FAQ]

"When a client attempts to access the network or communicate on the
network, it must present its system health state or proof of health
compliance. If a client cannot prove it is compliant with system
health requirements (for example, that it has the latest operating
system and antivirus updates installed), its access to the network or
communication on the network can be limited to a restricted network
containing server resources so that health compliance issues can be
remedied. After the updates are installed, the client requests access
to the network or attempts the communication again. If compliant, the
client is granted unlimited access to the network or the communication
is allowed."

To illustrate further, if your user logs in with a machine with a
non-updated virus signature, and is missing a few critical patches, it
will be validated by a Network Policy Server; since it does not meet
certain criteria in your policy, you can define corrective measures
(like applying OS patches, updating virus signatures, turning on the
host firewall, etc) for it to be able to connect to your LAN and
access your resources.

For more comprehensive info regarding this technology, please refer to
the NAP Technet page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545879.aspx

HTH.

Best Regards,