Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop - CNET News

From: "Steve McKay" <steve.mckay () hibbett com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:48:56 -0600

"Tom Yarrish" <tom () yarrish com> wrote in message
news:3AB95F6B-CC5E-4515-A772-562351AE067B () yarrish com...
I thought there was a part of this story that the guy had been
cooperating or said he had something on his computer, and then decided
not to cooperate.  That was why the judge ordered him to enter his PGP
passphrase.

Tom

The guy apparently had the PC 'on' when he crossed the border or he turned
it on and entered the password for the guards to inspect the contents of the
hard drive.  After the guards discovered the material on the hard drive,
they (the guards) turned off the PC (to 'preserve' the evidence, I presume).
When it was turned back 'on', they discovered that it was password
protected.

What would be interesting would be if the encryption software were set up to
erase the encrypted drive after 3 invalid passwords and the defendant
intentionally entered the wrong password 3 times. . .

ME