Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Programming SKills for PT...?

From: George Huber <kharmon () optonline net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 19:17:27 -0400

Swaminathan, Balaji wrote:
   In my opinion, though all the open source exploits, tools are
available, you cannot call urself as an hacker atleast an ethical hacker
unless you try to figure out them on your own. So pls let me know:

1. What are the programming/scripting languages needed to accompolish
the above?
2. I see most of the real hackers are well proficient in almost all of
the the technologies like Networking, Application/WebApplcn testing, OS
etc. Is it so...?
3. Are there any other skills/requirements that you can suggest to be a
successful Hacker?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Here are my thoughts on this.

Hacking, at least with the original definition of the word, is really the ability to find new and novel solutions to difficult problems. This is done by a very deep and though knowledge of the subject field. Now, hacking (or ethical hacking) is really the same thing -- using a deep understanding of a system to make it do strange and interesting things. So in my opinion you will need a deep understanding of operating systems, networking and networking protocols.

If you are aspiring to be more then a "script-kiddie", and write your own exploits, you will need to understand assembly language -- remember the shell code is nothing more then assembly. Moving away from assembly, while scripting languages might be nice for automation purposes -- from what I've seen the serious exploits (as well as applications) are still done in C or C++. With this I would strongly recommend that you start with C...learn it well, inside and out (and my your own admission, this might be difficult for you). Try to understand how things work, and more importantly why they work that way. Look for assumptions that might be made about something -- be it a protocol, program or system -- and see what happens if you remove one of those assumptions or you break one of them.