Security Basics mailing list archives

Laptop Endpoint Security

From: John Drakes <tornado579 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:01:03 +0530

Hi All,

Our company was evaluating Websense Remote filtering tool for our
laptop users so that we can enforce the Internet security policy on
the laptops.
But while doing Risk assessment it was noticed that if the hacker is
able to compromise the Websense Remote Filtering server in the DMZ he
may try to get into the internal LAN since the direct connection is
established between DMZ machine and the internal server for doing user
based filtering with the help of Active Directory.This is a risk.

I wanted your suggestions on the following:

1. What are the other products which can be evaluated for internet filtering?

2. What are the chances of the above risk materializing ?

3. Any other best practices you can suggest?

Thanks in advance.