Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Information Security Incidents

From: Brad Edmondson <brad.edmondson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:23:01 -0400

I might add unexpected behavior (pre and post auth), impossible logins
(china and new york and seattle within 30 minutes), and anything else
you care to include from the SANS top 5 logs:
http://www.sans.org/resources/top5_logreports.pdf

I would also add that writing a custom app from scratch to do this may
not work as well as dumping all logs into a central logging host and
then teasing these security events out of it with filters.  You will
have access to more data and a better event infrastructure that way,
and won't have to reinvent parsers, etc.  Think splunk, ossim, and the
like.

Regards,
Brad