Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: finding windows NT 4.0 server in a domain

From: Nikhil Wagholikar <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:36:18 +0530

Hello Mzcohen,

One of the ways to find/discover Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 server is to
scan for ports 137/TCP, 138/UDP, 139/TCP and 445/TCP.

1. If you find Microsoft system having all these ports open or just
445/TCP open, it will be Microsoft Windows 2000 and later OS.

2. If you find Microsoft system having all the above mentioned ports
open except 445/TCP, it will be Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 OS.

As far as noise is concerned, you can perform these port scans using
manual 'Telnet <IP Address/Hostname> Port_No' command.

Reference: http://www.petri.co.il/whats_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

Hope this helps!
---
Nikhil Wagholikar
Practice Lead | Security Assessment & Digital Forensics
Network Intelligence India Pvt. Ltd. [NII Consulting]
Web: http://www.niiconsulting.com/
Comprehensive Information Security Training
http://iisecurity.in/courses/Training Calendar.html