Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Steps on how to handle an infected computers ( in forensicsperspective)

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:19:00 -0400

My expertise in forensic is really limited, but i believe that pulling the
power cord at that step is unwise as you will basically be throwing out the
window a lot of data and information's.

Shouldn't he get access to the memory b4 flushing the power cord?

Also, I get that unpluggin the system from the network is wise to protect
both the system & the network. But wont you effectively change the state of a
machine when you want to capture the machine in the "bad state". Shouldn't he
pull the power cord b4 the network cable?

My reading of the TCT is a way back, so please forgive me if I'm wrong here.

Btw - My first step would be to call an expert & read on my corporate policy
& procedure ;)

Philippe Rivest - CISSP, CISA, CEH, Network+, Server+, A+
TransForce Inc.
Internal auditor - Information security
Vérificateur interne - Sécurité de l'information

8585 Trans-Canada Highway, Suite 300
Saint-Laurent (Quebec) H4S 1Z6
Tel.: 514-331-4417
Fax: 514-856-7541