Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: [Web Security] File Upload Virus Scanning

From: Jabłoński, Paweł <PJablonski () ivmx pl>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:23:13 +0200

Hey,

There are many solutions for virus scanning the content being sent through HTTP protocol and easy to integrate with
your JEE web application like finjan.com, trendmicro.com for example. I think you might also want considering of
implementing some CGI based logic inside the shell, that is invoked per file to run a virus scan locally - in that case
you can use a virus software dependent of the platform you're using. That gives you more flexibility. Write your web
application logic in the way that it will know if a downloaded file was scanned with A/V locally (CGI) and access it
with some trigger, or db based parameter.

As far as I can remember there's some Symantec solution for scanning files, API supported for Java. Called
SymJavaAPI.jar or something like that. Try googling it also.

Paweł Jabłoński
IT Security Consultant