Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Session layer in OSI and TCP/IP

From: Charlie Clark <charlie () funkymunkey co uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:26:14 +0100 (BST)

I believe the only section you have wrong is F :)

Charlie

On 15 July 2010 at 06:22 Naruto Uzumaki <ageofnaruto () gmail com> wrote:

@David Gillett, @Nikun, @Sandeep Thakur
Thanks for the response guys. I really appreciate it.

However, just to ensure that I've "got" it, I'm posting what I've
understood. Kindly tell me if I'm correct or not. This is nothing just
what I posted in my earlier query.

A) TCP/IP is the actual protocol suite used mostly in the Internet.

B) OSI is a reference model, as such various protocol suites have been
created based on OSI.

C) These protocol suites like TCP/IP etc. don't comply exactly to OSI
and therefore functionalities of layers in these protocol suites don't
strictly adhere to the functionalities of layers specified in the OSI
model.

D) This follows if the above part C is correct.
  Session layer session/connection is different from transport layer
connection and as such ***3-way handshake and 3-way connection
termination was never a part of session layer either in OSI and
definitely not in TCP/IP.***
So connection/session establishment in session layer is from different
connection establishment in transport layer.

E) Session layer is rarely used.But when used, the session layer uses
the transport layer connection to establish a session, i.e firstly a
TCP connection is established and then a session layer session.

F) I think I might be wrong with part D and E :)

It'll be very useful if answers can be provided on part-by-part
basis--quoting one of above part and answering it. I understand better
this way.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL
certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how
your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web
server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you
ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1