Security Basics mailing list archives

NMAP XML Output

From: "Matthew Bryan" <mbryan () bcts-usa com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 05:38:34 -0700

Maybe this isn't the best place for this question, but I don't know
where else to ask it. If someone can give me a better place to post
questions regarding general NMAP usage, I'll be glad to do so.

When viewing the XML file output of NMAP, the stylesheet seems to cause
some information within the output to not display properly. For example,
this is part of the display after running my scan:

Nmap scan report for 10.174.10.2
Host is up (0.19s latency).
PORT    STATE  SERVICE VERSION
161/tcp closed snmp
161/udp open   snmp    SNMPv1 server (public)
| snmp-sysdescr: Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software
(cat4500e-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(53)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
| Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
| Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
| Compiled Thu 16-Jul-09 22:44
|_  System uptime: 204 days, 0:47:36.55 (1762845655 timeticks)

However, when viewing the XML file through Word, IE or any other
application that utilitizes nmap.xsl, all of the information on lines
that start with the pipe are not displayed. It defeats the purpose of me
running the scan with the SNMP info if it will not show up in the
standard XML display.

Any suggestions, or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance!

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1